December is Mental Wellness & Holiday Safety Month

Check out the tips below to increase mental wellness:

  • Exercise your mind-Keep your brain sharp as you age by simple tricks like using your opposite hand, solving a riddle, or reading a book about a new subject.
  • Reduce stress-Examine the source of your stress, discover healthy coping mechanisms, eliminate unnecessary stressors, accept situations you have no control of, and develop relaxation techniques that work for you.
  • Take time to reflect at the end of the day on everything that’s been good. Research shows that being grateful makes us happier.
  • Tap into your creative genius through creative writing, dancing, drawing, knitting or woodworking; honor your natural talents, abilities, and passion.
  • Balance work, rest and play-This is really important because we need some of all these things. Keep your body healthy.  Getting enough sleep and proper nutrition is good for us.
  • Smile! This makes you feel good as well as the person you smile at.
  • Build a strong support system-Surround yourself with positive people. Avoid people or situations that drain your energy. Ensure that your support team offers unconditional love. Network with others who are motivated and aligned with your passion and purpose.
  • Spend time alone-Allow positive time for solitude. Meditate and focus your thoughts.
  • Take responsibility for something- a person, a pet, a garden or some other project.
  • Maintain a sense of humor when facing certain life situations.

Keep friends and family safe during the Holiday Season! Follow these tips:

  • At parties, be mindful of unfinished alcoholic drinks. If alcoholic drinks are swallowed by children or pets, serious illness or death can occur.
  •  Be mindful of the age appropriateness listed on toys. Do not re-wrap old toys as gifts as they could be hazardous and/or contain lead. Contact the US Consumer Product Safety Commission at 1-800-638-2772.
  • Do not burn used wrapping paper in the fireplace. Many kinds of wrapping paper contain toxic metals like lead that burn at high temperatures and is not safe for the fireplace. Flames could spark out into the room causing a potential fire. Visit the NJ Poison Information & Education System at www.njpies.org for more information.